Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do we Pay for XBOX LIVE, AND ARE OK WITH IT

+11
gow
TRF
SlySonji™
Zillah
gamer22
Padders
chobo500
TheJubJub5721
MEGAlan
BlackStigma
yonny616
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why do we Pay for XBOX LIVE, AND ARE OK WITH IT Empty Why do we Pay for XBOX LIVE, AND ARE OK WITH IT

Post by yonny616 Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:04 pm

The question I have been asking a lot of people in the last couple of months is "Why do you pay for XBOX Live, and are okay with it?". Initially assuming everyone with the service would respond with positive responses along the lines of, "It's superior to everything else", or "It's worth it for all the features", I was more than surprised at the most common response:

"Because... it's... awesome. Actually, that's a good question. I really don't know".
http://www.strengthgamer.com/Why_do_we_pay_for_XBOX_Live.html

Last edited by yonny616 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
yonny616
yonny616
Forum Great

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrYonny616

Back to top Go down

Why do we Pay for XBOX LIVE, AND ARE OK WITH IT Empty Re: Why do we Pay for XBOX LIVE, AND ARE OK WITH IT

Post by BlackStigma Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:06 pm

The link doesn't work.
BlackStigma
BlackStigma
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Why do we Pay for XBOX LIVE, AND ARE OK WITH IT Empty Re: Why do we Pay for XBOX LIVE, AND ARE OK WITH IT

Post by MEGAlan Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:57 pm

I'll just post what I posted on the XBR regarding this issue:

"Admittingly I don't use every single feature Gold has to offer, but you know what? IMO, the pricing ISN'T THAT BAD. The only problem for MOST people is the principle of the thing (you buy a game, and then you have to pay for a specific feature.)

40-60 bucks a year, on a serious note, is NOTHING to the average hardcore gamers who probably buy atleast 6-7 games a year anyways. For those that have huge families, they even have family plans at like 100 bucks ( I believe? ) for 4 accounts.

XBL is still by far the best online service. The general user friendliness of XBL and the UI by far beats PS3/PSN. And honestly, even if multiplayer was free I would still pay 4-5 bucks a month for those ingame UI features that make managing your friendslist and organizing games with your friends that much easier.

This is my honest opinion on Live, and all of the complaining about the price makes me LOL on the inside. You have other options. Microsoft isn't forcefully taxing you while you play Xbox. Just don't be a Live Gold member, or simple just get a PS3 if PSN satisfies your needs for multiplayer. And this is assuming that you have financial issues and a really tight budget to where you can't possibly sacrifice a couple bucks per month on top of what you are already paying."
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:19 am

I can afford it, so thats not a problem. But with all the money they make, there is no reason it should be as expensive as it is.
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:27 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:I can afford it, so thats not a problem. But with all the money they make, there is no reason it should be as expensive as it is.

Yea it's more of an issue with the justification.

I think the subscription fee is justified. I just want Microsoft to expand their options on the subscription.

There should be 3 options:

Silver- Everything that the current Silver membership has for free.
Gold- Everything that Silver has +Multiplayer and extra Friendslist Organization features for $29.99 a year.
Platinum- Everything from the previous options but with Last F.M, Facebook and Twitter integration, Xbox Live Party system, Netflix, Game Deals and Discounts, etc for $59.99 a year.

That would be a more fair and justified subscription based service.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:39 am

Alan_1994 wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:I can afford it, so thats not a problem. But with all the money they make, there is no reason it should be as expensive as it is.

Yea it's more of an issue with the justification.

I think the subscription fee is justified. I just want Microsoft to expand their options on the subscription.

There should be 3 options:

Silver- Everything that the current Silver membership has for free.
Gold- Everything that Silver has +Multiplayer and extra Friendslist Organization features for $29.99 a year.
Platinum- Everything from the previous options but with Last F.M, Facebook and Twitter integration, Xbox Live Party system, Netflix, Game Deals and Discounts, etc for $59.99 a year.

That would be a more fair and justified subscription based service.

I would rather have Gold with XGC and party system as well too. But I think they should make multiple sub options like that, it would be better.
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by chobo500 Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:54 am

While XBL is not very Expensive, I don't like paying for it.

The reason being is that I don't Understand why I'm paying for something that is free elsewhere.

And i find that the extra features of XBL aren't worth the $60 a year.

X Game chat is free on the PC

Facebook and twitter i can use on my PC, or from the browser on the PS3.

Last FM I can use on My PC.

Group Video watching, I can just invite my friends to my house and watch a movie.

So beyond extra features that are already free elsewhere, XBL is a rip-off IMO.

the only reason i use and pay for it is because my friends use it.

chobo500
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by yonny616 Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:58 am

BlackStigma wrote:The link doesn't work.
Fixed Embarassed
yonny616
yonny616
Forum Great

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrYonny616

Back to top Go down

Post by Padders Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:12 am

I payed for Xbox Live Gold just once. But it felt like I been paying for services I didn't want.

Well anywhoo. I don't really give a damn if someone does pay for it. Its not coming out of my wallet lol.
Padders
Padders
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by gamer22 Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:19 pm

It really comes down to whether or not you're enjoying the console. If you own a 360 and you don't really like it then I'm sure you're not paying the fees.

If gamers are loving the 360 then it's no big deal to pay $60 a year especially if they're smart shoppers and can get it cheaper.

gamer22
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zillah Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:47 pm

I don't think it's right. I mean, of course I have money, how else would I get games. Still, it's not right. To play a video games? C'mon.

I buy about 9 games a year, i'm definitely not a hardcore gamer.
I think XBL is only necessary for those "hardcore gamers."

I think PSN is perfect for me. One thing they didn't mention (cause they can't), is the wonderful GAME SHARING.
I wouldn't trade that for anything. And that makes PSN better than XBL for me.
That and home. I love Home.
Zillah
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Honestly, Home was the biggest waste of time for Sony. They could have used that money invested in Home to upgrade the curent features of PSN.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Alan_1994 wrote:Honestly, Home was the biggest waste of time for Sony. They could have used that money invested in Home to upgrade the curent features of PSN.

Waste of time? Sony made MILLIONS off of Home.

GAME SHARING

THANK YOU TRF!

SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:29 pm

SlySonji™ wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:Honestly, Home was the biggest waste of time for Sony. They could have used that money invested in Home to upgrade the curent features of PSN.

GAME SHARING

THANK YOU TRF!

I need to get FFVII from you at some point.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:18 pm

SlySonji™ wrote:

GAME SHARING

THANK YOU TRF!

In advertisement yes. Just like how Microsoft advertises crap on the Spotlight channel. Home hardly does anything for gamers like me who want to socialize AND play multiplayer games at the same time.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:18 pm

SlySonji™ wrote:

GAME SHARING

THANK YOU TRF!

Game sharing wasn't a part of Home?
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zillah Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Alan_1994 wrote:
SlySonji™ wrote:

GAME SHARING

THANK YOU TRF!

In advertisement yes. Just like how Microsoft advertises crap on the Spotlight channel. Home hardly does anything for gamers like me who want to socialize AND play multiplayer games at the same time.

And that's why every gamer isn't like you. Me personally? I love Home.
Home offers a lot.
I know i'm not the only one who think like that. So yeah.
Zillah
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Zillah wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
SlySonji™ wrote:

GAME SHARING

THANK YOU TRF!

And that's why every gamer isn't like you. Me personally? I love Home.
Home offers a lot.
I know i'm not the only one who think like that. So yeah.

That's great dude, I didn't mean to force my opinion on you.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gow Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:39 pm

XCG and the party system are the only good things about live they're great features but not worth $60. I would defiently pay around $20 a year for XCG the party system and espn but that just me. PSN>Live
gow
gow
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gutzahn Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Game Sharing is the best feature ever btw...
Buy one and Download at 5 Ps3 is beast if you have friends with ps3s... only one needs Ps+ e.g.
Gutzahn
Gutzahn
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 am

Alan_1994 wrote:
SlySonji™ wrote:

GAME SHARING

THANK YOU TRF!

Big difference between ads in Home and the ads that appear on your Xbox360 dashboard. Home is a FREE application offering multiplayer games, and other features similar to other popular online virtual social worlds, and just like many other FREE MMO type applications they get their money from advertisements. But the ads on the XBox360 dashboard are not just in the Spotlight, but in EVERY tab that isn't "My Xbox" or "Friends". Even if you have Xbox Live Gold, you will still have these ads on your dashboard. Nestea, Mazda Protege, Discovery Channel's "Life" video, Digiorno videos, and etc are thrown into your dashboard, sometimes you'll see the SAME AD IN MORE THAN ONE PLACE. I fucking hate it. I make nearly $600 a month from ads on my Youtube videos, how much do you think Microsoft makes? And then they STILL WANT TO CHARGE YOU FOR FEATURES!? I'm sorry, but those ads on the dashboard are one of my biggest complaints, and that ad revenue is more than enough to pay for those features. Home ads =/= Dashboard ads
Jamin
Jamin
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by chobo500 Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:16 am

Jamin wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:

GAME SHARING

THANK YOU TRF!

Big difference between ads in Home and the ads that appear on your Xbox360 dashboard. Home is a FREE application offering multiplayer games, and other features similar to other popular online virtual social worlds, and just like many other FREE MMO type applications they get their money from advertisements. But the ads on the XBox360 dashboard are not just in the Spotlight, but in EVERY tab that isn't "My Xbox" or "Friends". Even if you have Xbox Live Gold, you will still have these ads on your dashboard. Nestea, Mazda Protege, Discovery Channel's "Life" video, Digiorno videos, and etc are thrown into your dashboard, sometimes you'll see the SAME AD IN MORE THAN ONE PLACE. I fucking hate it. I make nearly $600 a month from ads on my Youtube videos, how much do you think Microsoft makes? And then they STILL WANT TO CHARGE YOU FOR FEATURES!? I'm sorry, but those ads on the dashboard are one of my biggest complaints, and that ad revenue is more than enough to pay for those features. Home ads =/= Dashboard ads

BBC?

Scratching Head

chobo500
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 am

chobo500 wrote:
Jamin wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:

GAME SHARING

THANK YOU TRF!

BBC?

Scratching Head
Yeah. That means our site has reached new levels of cool. We're almost at "Other Side of the Pillow" status. Cool
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by CyberpunkCentral Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:05 pm

BBC! You're like a GOD around these parts Slave Master
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

https://www.youtube.com/user/CyberpunkCentral?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Lol, thanks for the warm welcome guys. XD But I'm no better than anyone else here, only when others prove otherwise by making themselves look silly. XD
Jamin
Jamin
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next