Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format,” says Xbox UK boss

+15
xxDEATH METALxx
TheJubJub5721
Teckno
Zillah
adro
Padders
Pizzy3C
TWILIGHTRULEZZZ
igame
chobo500
gow
BlackStigma
SlySonji™
Stoney
CyberpunkCentral
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format,” says Xbox UK boss - Page 2 Empty Re: "Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format,” says Xbox UK boss

Post by Stoney Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:06 pm

HellJumper wrote:I never understood the praise about blu ray(in games or movies).Its barely a jump from DVD compared to the jump between VHS and DVD.Blu-Ray may make a movie a little more nice looking but id much rather stick with DVD then have to buy all my movie library again on Blu-Ray.Blu-Ray is just a small luxury imo

Still, I hope that the next xbox isnt digital distribution...

Microsoft having indicated that's the direction they are taking, hopefully not though, while Sony have said they are sticking with Blu-Ray especially seeing as they are working on 100GB BR discs. O_O
Stoney
Stoney
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

"Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format,” says Xbox UK boss - Page 2 Empty Re: "Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format,” says Xbox UK boss

Post by MEGAlan Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Stoney wrote:
HellJumper wrote:I never understood the praise about blu ray(in games or movies).Its barely a jump from DVD compared to the jump between VHS and DVD.Blu-Ray may make a movie a little more nice looking but id much rather stick with DVD then have to buy all my movie library again on Blu-Ray.Blu-Ray is just a small luxury imo

Still, I hope that the next xbox isnt digital distribution...

Microsoft having indicated that's the direction they are taking, hopefully not though, while Sony have said they are sticking with Blu-Ray especially seeing as they are working on 100GB BR discs. O_O

That's INSANE though.

Most PS3 games aren't even on dual-layered Blu-rays (50 GB), they are usually on single-layered (25 GB) and even that is overkill.

PC gaming, which has always been periodically ahead of consoles, uses DVD as it's prime physical distribution medium. Not saying that MS shouldn't/wouldn't switch to a different format for next generation, but the necessity of Blu-ray is a bit over-exaggerated this generation. Especially when the only platform that currently uses Blu-ray has a BR drive that is so slow that most developers have to force HDD installs or duplicate the same data to make streaming easier off of the disc.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2