Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fallout New Vegas semi review

Go down

Fallout New Vegas semi review Empty Fallout New Vegas semi review

Post by sulley Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Fallout New Vegas semi review Fallout-new-vegas-logo
This is not a full review as in my opinion I have not progressed the story enough or have put enough time into the game I’m about 20 hours into the game but I wanted to complete the main quest before I did a full written review.

The game starts where you an unknown package courier gets shot in the head and is left in a shallow grave but the character gets rescued by a passing robot and taken to a doctor. This is where the main quest starts with you trying to find your “killer” and a reason why they tried to do it.

The first 30 to 45 minutes are optional tutorial missions to get newcomers and existing fans of the Fallout series acquainted with some of the new features that New Vegas has to offer like the new crafting mechanics but after this the entire Mojave wasteland is open to the player and it is their choice whether they want to progress the main story or explore to go to new settlements and get side quests to complete and level up their character.

Most of the weapons from Fallout 3 make an appearance in Fallout New Vegas from weapons like the 10mm pistol to the Gatling laser. But the game offers a lot of new weapons like the cowboy repeater and the ARCHEMEDES weapon which is a hidden weapon that can be obtained by doing a side quest and this weapon calls the destructive powers of the sun to vanquish your foes (or innocent people) however it can only be used once every 24 game hours.

The Mojave wasteland I feel is more varied than the Capital wasteland was in Fallout 3, there is a lot more foliage which gives the game more colour and as the Mojave wasteland wasn’t directly hit by the atomic bombs like the Capital wasteland was this has allowed the developers to create more established settlements like The Strip and Jacobstown. This is a great thing in my opinion as it allows the player to feel more interactive with the world as there is more to change with their actions.

The music in the game is good and it typical of the Fallout franchise. But the music can get a bit repetitive. And be warned you will be singing the songs after a few hours of play.

While I’ve been playing the game, I have not progressed the main quest much at all. I have easily spent my 20 hours exploring and doing side quests and I still have many many more to do let alone finding all the unique weapons in the game and finding every last location on the map to see what it has to offer. There is so much replay value in this game it is unbelievable. However this could just be me as I was such a huge fan of Fallout 3 and I spent over 200 hours on that game.

There are a LOT of bugs in the game. I have had one of my companions and an NPC who was important to a quest disappear on me forcing me to load a previous save losing 5 hours of game time. I have had the game freeze on multiple occasions, this is more of an annoyance than a major problem as the game auto saves every time you enter or exit a building or you fast travel.

Remember this isn’t my full review. I may come back to this game on a later date. But as of now id say buy the game but I'd probably wait till Bethesda have patched the game a bit more. However if you want to play a Fallout game I would recommend Fallout 3 to anybody as I love that game. It is very cheap now and it could serve as an introduction to people new to the Fallout franchise.

i own Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. so i have experience with both games.

Hope you enjoyed

Sulley

first written: 28-10-2010
sulley
sulley
Fanboy

https://www.youtube.com/user/sulley1993

Back to top Go down