Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion

+9
Reaper
xxDEATH METALxx
Zillah
CyberpunkCentral
BlackStigma
adro
TRF
Franko
yonny616
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion Empty More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion

Post by yonny616 Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:01 am

Well i guess Sony is getting it credit again fro adding blu ray
http://www.playstationuniversity.com/more-developers-praise-blu-ray-slam-microsofts-dvd-choice-4219/
yonny616
yonny616
Forum Great

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrYonny616

Back to top Go down

More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion Empty Re: More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion

Post by Franko Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:11 am

MS are bitch slaping thereselfs right now.
Franko
Franko
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion Empty Re: More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion

Post by TRF Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:19 am

I don't get why Microsoft is criticized for using DVD. While we should be praising Sony for using Blu-Ray, we shouldn't criticize Microsoft since Nintendo also uses DVD. It would be one thing if Microsoft was the only company using a "primitive" format, but they're not, since DVD is still the most widely-used format. Games are just advancing way too quickly, and developers will occasionally need a company to blame when they decide to cut stuff out of the game and sell it later on as DLC.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by adro Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:50 am

ŦЯӺ wrote:I don't get why Microsoft is criticized for using DVD. While we should be praising Sony for using Blu-Ray, we shouldn't criticize Microsoft since Nintendo also uses DVD. It would be one thing if Microsoft was the only company using a "primitive" format, but they're not, since DVD is still the most widely-used format. Games are just advancing way too quickly, and developers will occasionally need a company to blame when they decide to cut stuff out of the game and sell it later on as DLC.
wii games don't even use dual-layer dvd's, 4Gb are way enough for the wii.
360 dual-layer, multiple discs, developers shouldn't be worying about space, and the 360 does exactly that.
adro
adro
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackStigma Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:45 am

I don't quite see how it's Microsoft's fault considering the 360 came out before the first HDDVD and Blueray players. Besides the PC and Wii still use DVDs too. And you can play this game entirely off of the second disk by installing the first disk. But you know, when 5 out of like 700 retail games require multiple disk you know it's obsolete.
BlackStigma
BlackStigma
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by adro Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 am

BlackStigma wrote:I don't quite see how it's Microsoft's fault considering the 360 came out before the first HDDVD and Blueray players.
and no one was complaining back then, the problem is now.

BlackStigma wrote:Besides the PC and Wii still use DVDs too.
wii dosn't use next-gen graphics = it doesn't need more space
PC install the games = all the space he need is from the PC hard-drive (MS can't alow that cause of their arcade version)

BlackStigma wrote:But you know, when 5 out of like 700 retail games require multiple disk you know it's obsolete.
the problem is upcoming games More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion Icon_rolleyes
adro
adro
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackStigma Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:01 am

adro wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:But you know, when 5 out of like 700 retail games require multiple disk you know it's obsolete.
the problem is upcoming games More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion Icon_rolleyes

Nobody complained when half of the PSones library had 3/4 disk games.
BlackStigma
BlackStigma
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:13 am

BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

But back then, developers weren't able to sell the content they cut from the game as DLC. Laughing
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by CyberpunkCentral Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:58 am

BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

More Developers praise blu-ray: Slam Microsoft for DVD desicion Bbc_210

Yeah, and that was like what 16 years ago?...
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

https://www.youtube.com/user/CyberpunkCentral?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Post by Zillah Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:29 am

BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

You kinda purposely set your self up to fail there. Unless, you weren't?
Face Desk Stupidity
Zillah
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackStigma Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:28 am

Zillah wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

Face Desk Stupidity

Care to elaborate on that?
BlackStigma
BlackStigma
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:37 am

CyberpunkCentral wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

Yeah, nobody complained because there weren't developers using the DVD's limitations as an excuse to cut content and sell it later. Besides, the games have gotten bigger. Other than the "cut and sell" tactics of developers, it was the same sixteen years ago as it is today.

PS3 is ahead of its time, and games are growing faster than the current technology can handle them. Microsoft is NOT behind, especially when DVD is more prevalent in people's homes than Blu-Ray.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by CyberpunkCentral Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:04 am

ŦЯӺ wrote:
CyberpunkCentral wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

Yeah, nobody complained because there weren't developers using the DVD's limitations as an excuse to cut content and sell it later. Besides, the games have gotten bigger. Other than the "cut and sell" tactics of developers, it was the same sixteen years ago as it is today.

PS3 is ahead of its time, and games are growing faster than the current technology can handle them. Microsoft is NOT behind, especially when DVD is more prevalent in people's homes than Blu-Ray.

I don't blame Microsoft for still using DVD. I have a problem with people saying Blu-ray is not needed, which is not true. How are we ever going to move forward in gaming with an attitude like that?

It sucks that PS3 is ahead in tech and games and yet their still in third-place (for now). I know you guys don't care about sales, but the longer the PS3 stays in third-place, the sorter PS3's life-span is.

Last edited by CyberpunkCentral on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

https://www.youtube.com/user/CyberpunkCentral?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Post by Zillah Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:12 am

BlackStigma wrote:
Zillah wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

Face Desk Stupidity

I need to explain that?
Facepalm
Stop.
Zillah
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:35 pm

CyberpunkCentral wrote:
ŦЯӺ wrote:
CyberpunkCentral wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

I don't blame Microsoft for still using DVD. I have a problem with people saying Blu-ray is not needed, which is not true. How are we ever going to move forward in gaming with an attitude like that?

It sucks that PS3 is ahead in tech and games and yet their still in third-place (for now). I know you guys don't care about sales, but the longer the PS3 stays in third-place, the sorter PS3's life-span is.
Blu-Ray is absolutely needed. I don't deny that it's superior to DVD. I just have a problem with people blaming Microsoft for all these things when Microsoft was using the standard format.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by xxDEATH METALxx Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:11 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

Seriously? The PS1???
xxDEATH METALxx
xxDEATH METALxx
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:57 pm

ŦЯӺ wrote:
CyberpunkCentral wrote:
ŦЯӺ wrote:
CyberpunkCentral wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

Blu-Ray is absolutely needed. I don't deny that it's superior to DVD. I just have a problem with people blaming Microsoft for all these things when Microsoft was using the standard format.

I think it was a lack of forward thinking. If they were serious about going the full distance with the Ps3 (ten years or more) then they should have thought ahead that games were going to get bigger and more advanced.
Reaper
Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Reaper wrote:
I think it was a lack of forward thinking. If they were serious about going the full distance with the Ps3 (ten years or more) then they should have thought ahead that games were going to get bigger and more advanced.
What were they supposed to do? I don't think HD-DVD or Blu-Ray were around then, so what were they supposed to do?
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:28 pm

the 360's lifespan is shortening or games arent going to excel for the 360

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackStigma Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Zillah wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Zillah wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

Face Desk Stupidity

I need to explain that?
Facepalm
Stop.

Yes you do, all you did was a face desk and didn't explain anything. You swap a disk one or twice, it only takes like 15 seconds each time.
BlackStigma
BlackStigma
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Zillah Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:50 pm

BlackStigma wrote:

Yes you do, all you did was a face desk and didn't explain anything. You swap a disk one or twice, it only takes like 15 seconds each time.

That was year 2009 wasn't it?
I think so.
Or was that more than 5 years ago? I forgot. Remind me.
I need to explain don't I? I forgot who I was talking to. PS1 wasn't expected to have Blu-Ray or huge disk.
I thought it was a joke at first.
Zillah
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 pm

ŦЯӺ wrote:
Reaper wrote:
What were they supposed to do? I don't think HD-DVD or Blu-Ray were around then, so what were they supposed to do?

Well Sony have never had problems anticipating games getting bigger, look at past gens. If MS had actually waited and built their HD-DVD player into the unit like the Blu-Ray player for the PS3 then we could have had a very different situation. But they gambled by rushing out early and its becoming more aparent that it was a flawed decision.
Reaper
Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackStigma Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Zillah wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

That was year 2009 wasn't it?
I think so.
Or was that more than 5 years ago? I forgot. Remind me.
I need to explain don't I? I forgot who I was talking to. PS1 wasn't expected to have Blu-Ray or huge disk.
I thought it was a joke at first.

So cause it's old? Remember when Sony said rumble was "last gen"? Because they didn't have it at first? Just cause something is old doesn't make it obsolete. The 360 wasn't expected to have blue ray or a huge disk either because they weren't around when it launched. So by your own reasoning it's not a problem.
BlackStigma
BlackStigma
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by igame Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:20 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
Zillah wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Zillah wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

Face Desk Stupidity

I need to explain that?
Facepalm
Stop.

Was there another console at the time using another format that could hold more space than what the ps1 used?
igame
igame
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackStigma Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:36 pm

igame wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Zillah wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Zillah wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
adro wrote:

Face Desk Stupidity

I need to explain that?
Facepalm
Stop.

Was there another console at the time using another format that could hold more space than what the ps1 used?

Nope, the PS1 and 360 were using the biggest disk formats available at the time of their release.
BlackStigma
BlackStigma
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next