Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kinect Causing RROD

5 posters

Go down

Kinect Causing RROD Empty Kinect Causing RROD

Post by CyberpunkCentral Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:06 am

Kinect Causing RROD Microsoft-kinect

According to several Xbox 360 users on the official Xbox Forums, Kinect has been causing problems for them. Most notably being the dreaded Red Ring of Dead (RROD).

Let's not pretend here. The Xbox 360 has without a doubt seen some pretty tough times over the past few years when it comes to hardware. The dreaded RROD was a fault known worldwide -- you didn't even need to know much about the Xbox 360 at the time, it was talked about a lot.

The RROD was mostly found on the older Xbox 360 models. The console's GPU would overheat, which caused it to automatically shut down. The next time the user turned it on, three red rings would be displayed on the "Rings of Life", located around the power button. Once a console has the dreaded Red Rings, it will no longer work.

Several complaints made via the official Xbox forums suggest that Kinect is causing older Xbox 360 models to get the Red Rings. There have actually been quite a few topics created on this matter, with nearly every single post being marked as "popular", receiving thousands of views, and hundreds of responses -- some even complaining about the same matter.

There isn't any solid proof that Kinect is to blame for these issues, the consoles might be dying of old age. You can find several of the complaints via the source.

Source: VGChartz
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

https://www.youtube.com/user/CyberpunkCentral?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Kinect Causing RROD Empty Re: Kinect Causing RROD

Post by TheJubJub5721 Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:01 am

Huh, thats interesting. I will keep an eye out for this.
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Seems like Kinect is designed better for the 360 slim. No suprise there.

But Kinect doesn't directly cause RROD in older models. Most older models (particularly the ones with a 90 nm GPU chipset) all share the same fate of RROD. The added masses of the GPU and CPU chipset absorb the heat flow that allows proper soldering of the lead-free solders on the motherboard, which can lead to voids (errr.."air bubbles") and weak spots in the solder. Since the motherboard has varied temperatures depending on how long it has been on, these voids cause cracking. I heard the PS3's YLOD errors come from the same causes, but I'm not entirely sure.

Microsoft decreased the size of the GPU with the Jasper motherboard and put stronger solders in place. The rest of the models, however, will most likely break on you eventually.

When I skimmed through the article, I didn't find a particular reason as to why the RROD errors occur BECAUSE of Kinect. Though maybe no one really knows why yet.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Padders Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:57 pm

They don't make gaming consoles like they use to. Step on them and they break.

I can totally see Microsoft releasing Xbox 360 Ice packs for $150. Anyways... It is hard to believe that Kinect is causing RROD with the older 360 models.
Padders
Padders
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Kinect doesn't break it.. This is just a coincidence, much like the minority of people who claim a Firmware update breaks their Ps3..
If this was true then every non-slim Xbox would break due to Kinect, not just a handful Silly

Gizmo
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down