Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playstation 3 to get graphics update? PS3.5

+6
Padders
Teckno
Zenbloke
Gutzahn
CyberpunkCentral
Stoney
10 posters

Go down

Playstation 3 to get graphics update? PS3.5 Empty Playstation 3 to get graphics update? PS3.5

Post by Stoney Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:34 pm

The PlayStation 3 was a massive investment for many gamers, especially for those that bought the console at launch. For Sony, the costs were even higher, with billions spent on development, and more spent on selling the console at a loss. So its no wonder the company wants to extend the PS3′s life-cycle, and thus make profit on the platform. Now, a Sony patent has hinted that they will release external processors to make the console even more powerful – without the need for a PS4.

The benefits of an upgrade to the PS3 are obvious – allowing for a more powerful machine, without having to pay so much for a new console. However, the “PS3 External Processor” has its drawbacks: it wouldn’t give consumers the same experience as a full new console, and would run the risk of both fragmenting and confusing the market.

The patent – from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Tokyo, JP – explains the reasoning behind the processing peripheral:

In recent years, there has been an insatiable desire for faster computer processing data throughputs because cutting-edge computer applications involve real-time, multimedia functionality. Graphics applications are among those that place the highest demands on a processing system because they require such vast numbers of data accesses, data computations, and data manipulations in relatively short periods of time to achieve desirable visual results. These applications require extremely fast processing speeds, such as many thousands of megabits of data per second. While some processing systems employ a single processor to achieve fast processing speeds, others are implemented utilizing multi-processor architectures. In multi-processor systems, a plurality of sub-processors can operate in parallel (or at least in concert) to achieve desired processing results.

Coming to the conclusion that:

Accordingly, there are needs in the art for new methods and apparatus for interconnecting one or more multiprocessor systems with one or more external devices to achieve higher processing capabilities.
The patent is shown in a picture:
Playstation 3 to get graphics update? PS3.5 Shared10

The dotted area 500, is the external processor, with the patent explaining that the memory it shares (514) with the internal processor could be DRAM, MRAM or SRAM, among others:

PE 500 is closely associated with a shared (main) memory 514 through a high bandwidth memory connection 516. Although the memory 514 preferably is a dynamic random access memory (DRAM), the memory 514 could be implemented using other means, e.g., as a static random access memory (SRAM), a magnetic random access memory (MRAM), an optical memory, a holographic memory, etc.

The patent expressly states that several external processors may be used:

In accordance with an alternative embodiment, two processor elements may be cascaded by each employing its respective BIC in a coherent symmetric multiprocessor (SMP) interface (or BIF) configuration. The coherent SMP interface (BIF) of each processing element is coupled to one another to set up a coherent interface there between.

The patent was filed this August and only recently published, showing that any plans are most likely in the early stages.

Last year, EA’s Chief Creative Officer, Rich Hilleman, told VentureBeat how he “expected we’ll see a PlayStation 3.5 before we see a PlayStation 4 and an Xbox 560 before we see an Xbox 720,” ”

Would you be interested in purchasing an “External Processor”?.

PlaystationLife
Stoney
Stoney
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Playstation 3 to get graphics update? PS3.5 Empty Re: Playstation 3 to get graphics update? PS3.5

Post by CyberpunkCentral Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:01 pm

It just keeps on getting better and better.

At this rate, the PS3 is going to eventually evolve into a PS4 Wink
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

https://www.youtube.com/user/CyberpunkCentral?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Playstation 3 to get graphics update? PS3.5 Empty Re: Playstation 3 to get graphics update? PS3.5

Post by Stoney Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:28 pm

I'd like to see it. It would save people alot of money and Sony would make alot of money in the process. No need for a new console for years.

It's like when Nintendo released the Expansion Pack for the N64.
Stoney
Stoney
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by CyberpunkCentral Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 pm

To bad people are in a hurry for next-gen consoles to come already *COUGHGENERALMLDCOUGH*
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

https://www.youtube.com/user/CyberpunkCentral?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:16 pm

demonwolf dissapproves

Back to top Go down

Post by Gutzahn Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:14 am

Im not really a fan of stuff like this, because it could become a huge disadvantage for people without the 3.5 thingy.
Gutzahn
Gutzahn
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenbloke Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Gutzahn wrote:Im not really a fan of stuff like this, because it could become a huge disadvantage for people without the 3.5 thingy.
Ture but as long as it's priced at a afordabel level for us skint gamers then I say ok besides it took me sooooooooo long to save up for my PS3 that I could only get a 40 gig thank the gods that could upgrade my hard drive to 120 I just wonder how well it will clamp on given there are so meny models of ps3 now?
Zenbloke
Zenbloke
Fanboy

http://dances-with-trousers.cabanova.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Teckno Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm

I rather have a constantly updated console then a whole new one.
Good idea, Sony.
Teckno
Teckno

Back to top Go down

Post by Padders Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:00 am

I don't know much about the hardware side. Wouldn't that put more pressure on the hardware?
Padders
Padders
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:35 am

I don't support this.

Like it says in the article, it would segregate the user base and cause some PS3 owners without the "update" to not be allowed to play certain games.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:36 am

MEGAlan wrote:I don't support this.

Like it says in the article, it would segregate the user base and cause some PS3 owners without the "update" to not be allowed to play certain games.
Or they could go on with the Nintendo route and package it with a game.
Jamin
Jamin
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenbloke Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:37 pm

Jamin wrote:
MEGAlan wrote:I don't support this.

Or they could go on with the Nintendo route and package it with a game.

now that could be expencive so if it went that way it had better be a solid gold hit must have that everybody going to want like a copy off GTA5 that wanks you off or that goes to work for you.
Zenbloke
Zenbloke
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:34 am

The baby in your avatar is ballin.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenbloke Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 pm

ballin?
Zenbloke
Zenbloke
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Zenbloke wrote:ballin?
It's a good thing.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenbloke Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:53 am

TRF wrote:
Zenbloke wrote:ballin?
It's a good thing.
I was concerned that somebody was having a go at my boy whiew ( wipes forehead )
what dus it mean I think I may have heard this term use'd in hip hop culture and even with me liking a bit off rap don't know the meaning of it
Zenbloke
Zenbloke
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Well, it means wealthy and rolling in style.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenbloke Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Sweet
Zenbloke
Zenbloke
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by gamer22 Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Completely and utterly stupid idea. Seriously does Sony think 3rd party developers will make games that take advantage of this add-on?

Hey lets make big budget games for the 2 million people that bought this add-on vice the already established 45 million+ people which oddly enough..still includes the ones that bought this add on Nice!

gamer22
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoney Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:50 pm

gamer22 wrote:Completely and utterly stupid idea. Seriously does Sony think 3rd party developers will make games that take advantage of this add-on?

Hey lets make big budget games for the 2 million people that bought this add-on vice the already established 45 million+ people which oddly enough..still includes the ones that bought this add on Nice!

I wonder if Nintendo thought that when they released Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask that could only be played on an N64 that had an Expansion Pack.
Stoney
Stoney
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down