Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Fantasy VII

+5
TRF
Angelus the Wraith
HellJumper
Pizzy3C
SlySonji™
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Final Fantasy VII Empty Final Fantasy VII

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Well, time to review my favorite game of all time, and the game that revolutionized JRPG's as we know them today.

Gameplay

This game has a gameplay mechanic that is best described through the term ''active-turn based combat.'' A little time bar fills up which is what allows you to select your attacks and utilize them on any enemy you prefer. However, easy as this may seem, this gets quite complicated down the road. You gain ''materia'' or abilities which contain different magic attacks. However, adding one materia such as 'Cure' brings down your character's stats and increases another in different aspect. For example, if you were to add cure, your strength level would decrease but your magic level would increase. This causes you to weigh your ups and downs about what you would like your character to be. This 'unmentioned class' is best added up depending on how much damage a character can do, how much damage they can take, or how helpful they're aiding abilities are. Aerith, one of the main characters, does very little damage to enemies, however, she is one of the few characters with aiding abilities that surpass the rest. This mechanic causes you to think. If you cannot defeat a boss in one way, you can pay attention to your characters and way your ups and downs. Despite this being helpful in battle, this game is not passable if you do not spend at least one hour massively grinding. Grinding is a very essential part in making your characters strong enough to defeat a boss, or simply to earn money to acquire new gear. You may be able to get passed this game without grinding if you are lucky, but it is highly suggested.

The game also allows you to use summons. Summons are monsters that aid you in battle. They do massive amounts of damage but drain a lot of magic. Because of this, they are best saved in a life/death situation.

Not to mention the exceedingly great line of minigames found at the Gold Saucer.

8/10

Story

The story takes place in the town of Midgar, a place running on Mako energy. Mako energy is the substance that fuels the planet, and without it, it will die. Plants (the factory ones) were constructed to absorb Mako energy and use it for other things. This must be stopped seeing as the planet is slowly dying.

Cloud, a young man out to seek the truth behind everything, joins an organization called Avalanche. Avalanche is an organization out to destroy these plants and the government willing to sacrifice everything for artificial usage. Along the way, Cloud meets a woman named Aerith with unusual powers. Because of these powers, the governments wants to use her.

Any more than this summary would be spoilers so thats about all I can really say.

Rating: 10/10

Graphics

The game is beautiful (for its time). Never before had something like this been seen on a console. Its a visual experience that set the bar high, very high indeed. It was like that feeling you got when everything was in 16-bit and then Mario 64 came along and blew your mind. It was like that, but better. The cutscenes could rival even some PS2 games. The graphics only help to better the story and gameplay.

Music

The music in this game is phenomenal. It will draw you in, set the mood, and make you want to (maybe), in some cases, cry. It makes the experience so much better and without it, this game wouldn't be the same.

The verdict: 9.9/10

This is as close to perfect as a game gets for me. My God am I happy I kept the original copy.

This, and AHCAREENA of Time. Wink Inside jokes, you must love them.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy VII Empty Re: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Pizzy3C Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:54 pm

Good review, but if you think a game's perfect don't hesitate to give a perfect score Wink

I'm going to buy it off the PS store once I am done with FFIX, which I'm not too found of atm. Just got it though, a lot could change. I remember watching my bro play VII back when I was a kid so I should have a better experience with that game. FFVIII>

Pizzy3C
Pizzy3C
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:59 pm

I said its as close to perfect as a game will ever get for me. This, Ocarina of Time, and Portal.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by HellJumper Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:21 pm

FF sucks so bad.What kind of name is cloud?I hate JRPGs so much.....
HellJumper
HellJumper
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:22 pm

That's nice. Did you come to this thread to troll it?

Go play your FPS's.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by HellJumper Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Sonji wrote:That's nice. Did you come to this thread to troll it?

Go play your FPS's.

Nope,just giving my oppinion about FF.

I actually play RPG's the most dude....You people are too fast to suspect 360 gamers always play FPS's
HellJumper
HellJumper
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Your a Halo fanboy. What is Halo?

I was referring TO Halo itself. I figured you would figure that out.. And if you play RPG's, they are most likely WRPG's. JRPG's and WRPG's are two completely different genres.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by HellJumper Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Sonji wrote:Your a Halo fanboy. What is Halo?

I was referring TO Halo itself. I figured you would figure that out.. And if you play RPG's, they are most likely WRPG's. JRPG's and WRPG's are two completely different genres.

I play Halo,and a bit of gears.But that doesnt mean all I play is FPS.Actually,both WRPG and JRPG are in the RPG genre.They are just subgenres.

and yes,I do play WRPG's.Such as Mass Effect,Dragon Age,TES series,Fallout,KOTOR Ect
HellJumper
HellJumper
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Exactly. None of those games are anything like JRPG's.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by HellJumper Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Sonji wrote:Exactly. None of those games are anything like JRPG's.

I never said they were.I just explained why it is stupid just judging that all I play is shooters.
HellJumper
HellJumper
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:51 pm

You still don't get why I say that? Its not because of the 360. It is because you are a Halo fanboy. Halo is an FPS. Thats why I said go play your FPS's.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by HellJumper Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:03 pm

Sonji wrote:You still don't get why I say that? Its not because of the 360. It is because you are a Halo fanboy. Halo is an FPS. Thats why I said go play your FPS's.

I understand.But when you did say that,I thought you were reffering to what so many people here and ps3 fanboys say."all 360 owners do is play FPS" ive seen atleast 6 people here say that
HellJumper
HellJumper
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:04 pm

O.o

Poor souls.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Nice review, but I would've been a little less generous.

HellJumper is a troll, he should jump into hell to celebrate HST.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizzy3C Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:20 pm

HellJumper wrote:FF sucks so bad.What kind of name is cloud?I hate JRPGs so much.....

What the hell kind of name is Master Chief? Kinda reminds me of Mister Sir from the Holes novel, and movie...
Pizzy3C
Pizzy3C
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Pizzy3C wrote:Good review, but if you think a game's perfect don't hesitate to give a perfect score Wink
No game is perfect, but even so, a perfect score doesn't mean a perfect game. Look at Golden Sun. It's my favorite game of all time, a 10/10 for me. However, the story is less than involving. It's an alright story, just clichéd.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizzy3C Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:12 pm

TRF wrote:No game is perfect, but even so, a perfect score doesn't mean a perfect game. Look at Golden Sun. It's my favorite game of all time, a 10/10 for me. However, the story is less than involving. It's an alright story, just clichéd.

No doubt there's no perfect game... What I was getting at is if it's your best experience playing a game then that's the standard you hold other games to from now on. So your 1-10 ratings from then on will be in reference to your FFVII experience, obviously with FFVII being your 10... That's all I was trying to say...

Pizzy3C
Pizzy3C
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:13 pm

FFVII is the best game I have ever played, but it is not worthy of a perfect score.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:59 pm

Pizzy3C wrote:
TRF wrote:No game is perfect, but even so, a perfect score doesn't mean a perfect game. Look at Golden Sun. It's my favorite game of all time, a 10/10 for me. However, the story is less than involving. It's an alright story, just clichéd.

No doubt there's no perfect game... What I was getting at is if it's your best experience playing a game then that's the standard you hold other games to from now on. So your 1-10 ratings from then on will be in reference to your FFVII experience, obviously with FFVII being your 10... That's all I was trying to say...

Oh, alright, I completely agree. I think it's good to have a frame of reference. I have Golden Sun for my 10/10, but I don't think I've ever played a 1/10. Even Superman 64 was a 2/10.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:10 pm

FFVII did not revolutionize the JRPG genre, it merely introduced it in to a wider audience and became and commercial success. thats like saying halo 3 revolutionized the FPS genre and Gears of Wars revolutionized the 3rd person shooter genre. FFVII IMO is very overrated, too much emo shit. FFIX was the best in my opinion, not to mention its got the best reviews. BTW when aeris(or whatever the fuck the flower girls name was) died me and my cousin were laughing and we were suprised sensitive little fags cried over that.

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:19 pm

It's because you have no soul and obviously cannot appreciate a good story. And, correct me if I am wrong, didn't Halo introduce the regenerating life bar? Thats pretty revolutionary. Also, FFVII introduced JRPGs to the audience outside of Japan. Without that, Final Fantasy would be like any other JRPG you haven't heard of. Just another game that was never heard of outside of Japan. It made millions of people that live in the West die hard fans. After FFVII, most JRPGs have grown cutscene and extremely story heavy. Not to mention, graphics that were seen in those cutscenes was unheard of. FFVII is to Final Fantasy to what OOT is to Zelda. The first 3D game in the series. That's pretty revolutionary to the series and the genre if you ask me. It revolutionized storytelling, gave birth to millions upon millions of FMVs, and character development. VII started a trend in JRPGs. Also, mistake me if I am wrong, wasn't Barret the first black guy in any JRPG?

Now stop trolling my review.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Sonji wrote:It's because you have no soul and obviously cannot appreciate a good story. And, correct me if I am wrong, didn't Halo introduce the regenerating life bar? Thats pretty revolutionary. Also, FFVII introduced JRPGs to the audience outside of Japan. Without that, Final Fantasy would be like any other JRPG you haven't heard of. Just another game that was never heard of outside of Japan. It made millions of people that live in the West die hard fans. After FFVII, most JRPGs have grown cutscene and extremely story heavy. Not to mention, graphics that were seen in those cutscenes was unheard of. FFVII is to Final Fantasy to what OOT is to Zelda. The first 3D game in the series. That's pretty revolutionary to the series and the genre if you ask me. It revolutionized storytelling, gave birth to millions upon millions of FMVs, and character development. VII started a trend in JRPGs. Also, mistake me if I am wrong, wasn't Barret the first black guy in any JRPG?

Now stop trolling my review.
FFVII did not introduce the JRPG genre to the west it was pokemon. also i said Halo 3 not halo try reading it. Also if u ask anyone who has played the final fantasy game since around FF III they will tell u FFVII was just a pretty picture with a cliche story, well compared to its previous installments. Also FFVII did not revolutionize story telling all the other FF before it had better stories, well if you can read that is. So i guess the only revolutionary thing it done was first ninja in a crazy jap fanfiction

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:47 pm

Pokemon didn't introduce it. Pokemon was released in 1997 in Japan. Only after proving very popular in Japan it was made for a western release. So yeah, FFVII did introduce the JRPG genre to the West seeing as it was released in 1997 for the Western audience.

And FFVII a pretty picture with a cliche story? I doubt you even played the game. And honestly, I don't understand why you put ''if you could read that is''. And I'm not saying that its story was better than the previous installments, I'm talking about the way the story was presented.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:24 pm

ShinRa is in no way cliché.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/

Back to top Go down