Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans?

+5
Skeith Terror of Death
Shadowriver
TRF
Angelus the Wraith
NIVÆL
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans? Empty Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans?

Post by NIVÆL Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans? Written by Ben Dukta

While I am indeed a fan of Final Fantasy XIII, I have often spoken about my mixed feelings concerning the gameplay. Although Gran Pulse makes it feel a bit more like FFXII, the decide-everything-for-me approach to the strategy still grates on me.

Now, I've wondered in the past if this is a nod to a new audience; to appeal to the "twitch-gaming" crowd that can't sit still for ten consecutive seconds without mashing buttons. And granted, you don't necessarily "mash buttons" in FFXIII but in order to speed up and streamline the battles so there is no "pausing" or break in the action, they simplified the approach. This to me is "RPG Lite." And then you factor in the lack of traditional RPG elements fans of this franchise have come to expect. I'm not saying they're essential; I'm merely saying there's still a place for them within the role-playing community who still pine for an FF they'd actually recognize. That being said, does anyone think Final Fantasy Versus XIII might boast more of a standard RPG feel; might FFXIII be the "new FF" for a new audience while Versus be more of a nod to the veteran, die-hard fans?

First, you've got the apparent existence of a map and airship in the game, which immediately reminds me of RPGs the way they used to be. Then you've got FFXIII director Motomu Toriyama saying that due to difficulties and obstacles with "new hardware" (which was new when they first started making FFXIII), they simply couldn't include those missing RPG elements. But at the same time, he says that now that the team has a firm grasp on things, those elements will return. Thirdly, now that FFXIII is out the door, many of the guys and gals that worked on the game have moved over to work on Versus XIII. Lastly, there's some logic worked in: FFXIII was the first FF that went to an Xbox platform and Square-Enix has been saying for several years they needed to cater more towards a Western audience. So a FFXIII release on the 360 makes perfect sense.

But I think Square-Enix knows that's a bit of a different audience. It's a group that tends to focus more on shooters (as Western gamers tend to do) and because of this, they may have factored this reasoning into the making of FFXIII. Would not the rapid-fire combat system of FFXIII appeal more to those who don't play much besides Modern Warfare 2 and Gears of War? Now, we all know Versus XIII is exclusive to the PS3; Square-Enix knows the majority of FF fans are also PlayStation fans; they've been with them since the PlayStation and FFVII. They know that audience. Hence, considering all this, might it be safe to assume that the new FF could be best described as the true FF for the loyal fans? Well, we'd have to see some gameplay first, I suppose. If it's just an action/adventure game, than I say it's another spin-off and certainly not for the fans. But hey, based on the news and evidence...just thinking out loud, here.
3/25/2010 12:28:58 PM Ben Dutka
NIVÆL
NIVÆL
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans? Empty Re: Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans?

Post by Angelus the Wraith Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:01 pm

I hope so.
As much as I love FFXIII, I can't help thinking they put too much weight on the Paradigm shifts. Despite my best efforts, I could find no reason not to use auto-battle.

Now all I'm hoping for is that versus includes more strategy, and less button mashing, while using most of my PS3's capabilities.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/

Back to top Go down

Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans? Empty Re: Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans?

Post by NIVÆL Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Angelus the Wraith wrote:I hope so.
As much as I love FFXIII, I can't help thinking they put too much weight on the Paradigm shifts. Despite my best efforts, I could find no reason not to use auto-battle.

Now all I'm hoping for is that versus includes more strategy, and less button mashing, while using most of my PS3's capabilities.

Yeah I totally agree. I'm very happy to see that FFVXIII is retaining to some of the FF series roots. From what I know, the battle system is a "realistic derivation of Kingdom Hearts's battle system with some elements of a third-person shooter aspect.". I honestly don't know what to think with that. Also "Nomura has also stated in Dengeki PlayStation that he aims to create previously unseen "tricky" battle sequences, reminiscent of the CGI film, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children.". I don't know what to think of that either.
NIVÆL
NIVÆL
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Nivael wrote:Yeah I totally agree. I'm very happy to see that FFVXIII is retaining to some of the FF series roots. From what I know, the battle system is a "realistic derivation of Kingdom Hearts's battle system with some elements of a third-person shooter aspect.". I honestly don't know what to think with that. Also "Nomura has also stated in Dengeki PlayStation that he aims to create previously unseen "tricky" battle sequences, reminiscent of the CGI film, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children.". I don't know what to think of that either.

My guess for tricky would be using teamwork to go high enough in the air, to be blessed by your dead girlfriend, and defeat Bahamut. The battle system is startim to sound like Kingdom hearts with crosshair instead of auto-aim.

I'm shivering with anticipation.
Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans? Bouncy

Last edited by Angelus the Wraith on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:54 pm

I don't know if it's the one for the REAL fans, but it's the one I'm most excited for. Out of this, XIII, Agito, and XIV, I was (and still am) most excited for Versus XIII.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:46 am

I had higher hopes for XIII, myself. Until I heard it was going to be multi-platform... Now; I am literally shivering with anticipation. Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans? Bouncy

Last edited by Angelus the Wraith on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowriver Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm

I think FFXIII is great, if it's great Versus will be grater ^^

And yeah, lot of fans expect more form Versus since it has dark and more FFVII climax
Shadowriver
Shadowriver
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skeith Terror of Death Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:35 am

The game is great,but the only thing i hate in this game are some characters.
Skeith Terror of Death
Skeith Terror of Death
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gyoza Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:02 am

Nope, real FFs are 1-6
Gyoza
Gyoza
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:03 am

Gyoza wrote:Nope, real FFs are 1-6
He's obviously talking about the new wave of Final Fantasy games coming out.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NIVÆL Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:13 am

I have to disagree with your opinion there. Honestly, Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy V were not considerably amazing in my opinion, the only Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo platform I consider amazing is Final Fantasy VI. Now, keep in mind that I have played through all Final Fantasy games on the NES and SNES in the original Japanese releases probably more than 10 times per each game, just the other day I was going through Final Fantasy III on NES. These are still great games, but in my opinion they aren't the only real Final Fantasy games. I respect your opinion though.
NIVÆL
NIVÆL
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:20 pm

Similarly to Sony, Square Enix tends to release a greater product than their last. Final Fantasy 1-6 are all available on portable systems, I and II on PSP, III and IV on NDS, V and VI on GBA.
The PSP installments are visibly better than the GBA's, and the NDS's failed attempts to good 3D result in catastrophe.

I own V and VI for PSone, and, unlike FFVII-IX, I wouldn't play them outside remote play.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Angelus the Wraith wrote:

Similarly to Sony, Square Enix tends to release a greater product than their last. Final Fantasy 1-6 are all available on portable systems, I and II on PSP, III and IV on NDS, V and VI on GBA.
The PSP installments are visibly better than the GBA's, and the NDS's failed attempts to good 3D result in catastrophe.

I own V and VI for PSone, and, unlike FFVII-IX, I wouldn't play them outside remote play.
I thought Final Fantasy III on the DS was decent.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:34 pm

TRF wrote:

It was. The job system was great, the story could be better, but still good. What I hated about it were it's graphics. The game looked better when it was in 2D. FFIV was able to bring in voices, but the voice acting was nothing special.

That being said, I liked FFT A2 more than any other DS installment.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:32 pm

TRF wrote:

It was. The job system was great, the story could be better, but still good. What I hated about it were it's graphics. The game looked better when it was in 2D. FFIV was able to bring in voices, but the voice acting was nothing special.

That being said, I liked FFT A2 more than any other DS installment.
Yea, I know what you mean about the graphics. I feel the same way about Golden Sun DS. No doubt that game will be fantastic just as the two GBA games were, but the graphics look bad.

Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans? Golden_sun GBA
Is Final Fantasy Versus XIII The Real FF For Loyal Fans? DS_Golden_Sun_Trailer DS

Anyways, I hope they keep it exclusive. Normally I wouldn't care if it was a multiplatform game or not, but considering what was lost from the PS3 version of Final Fantas XIII, I'd rather keep this game bigger and better.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Nivael wrote:

I have to disagree with your opinion there. Honestly, Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy V were not considerably amazing in my opinion, the only Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo platform I consider amazing is Final Fantasy VI. Now, keep in mind that I have played through all Final Fantasy games on the NES and SNES in the original Japanese releases probably more than 10 times per each game, just the other day I was going through Final Fantasy III on NES. These are still great games, but in my opinion they aren't the only real Final Fantasy games. I respect your opinion though.

Not sure he meant it as an opinion...
Only FFIII and IV are left with NINTENDO(rk), the rest are available on PlayStation. I gotta add that I loved playing a blue mage in FFV, but Quina could eat him in no time or effort.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:13 am

Nivael wrote:Yeah I totally agree. I'm very happy to see that FFVXIII is retaining to some of the FF series roots. From what I know, the battle system is a "realistic derivation of Kingdom Hearts's battle system with some elements of a third-person shooter aspect.". I honestly don't know what to think with that. Also "Nomura has also stated in Dengeki PlayStation that he aims to create previously unseen "tricky" battle sequences, reminiscent of the CGI film, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children.". I don't know what to think of that either.

My guess for tricky would be using teamwork to go high enough in the air, to be blessed by your dead girlfriend, and defeat Bahamut. The battle system is startim to sound like Kingdom hearts with crosshair instead of auto-aim.

And it's going to be open-world, right? Kingdom Hearts combat mixed with open-world exploration sounds awesome.
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:25 am

TRF wrote:

And it's going to be open-world, right? Kingdom Hearts combat mixed with open-world exploration sounds awesome.

Now that you mention it, I'd love to see some sort of new gummi ship.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by FaytSaratome Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:25 pm

No, if it was for the real FF fan than it would have been more like FFI-FFVI. After FFVII I lost hope for the series. FFVIII was pretty good and FFIX gave me nostalgia of the old games but then it started leaving the FF. FFXIII isn't anything like the old FFs, as my friend once said. Why did they name it Final Fantasy when it's nothing like FF?
FaytSaratome
FaytSaratome
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:51 pm

FaytSaratome wrote:No, if it was for the real FF fan than it would have been more like FFI-FFVI. After FFVII I lost hope for the series. FFVIII was pretty good and FFIX gave me nostalgia of the old games but then it started leaving the FF. FFXIII isn't anything like the old FFs, as my friend once said. Why did they name it Final Fantasy when it's nothing like FF?

The Final Fantasy series are known for their unparalleled story-telling, and re-inventing themselves with every installment. All Final Fantasy games take from each other, but none are truly alike. That is the greatness of Final Fantasy.

The question was "Is Versus for true FF fans?". And after reading your opinion, I'd say you aren't qualified to answer. For you are; a Wannabe Final Fantasy Fan.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by FaytSaratome Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:55 pm

FaytSaratome wrote:No, if it was for the real FF fan than it would have been more like FFI-FFVI. After FFVII I lost hope for the series. FFVIII was pretty good and FFIX gave me nostalgia of the old games but then it started leaving the FF. FFXIII isn't anything like the old FFs, as my friend once said. Why did they name it Final Fantasy when it's nothing like FF?

The Final Fantasy series are known for their unparalleled story-telling, and re-inventing themselves with every installment. All Final Fantasy games take from each other, but none are truly alike. That is the greatness of Final Fantasy.

The question was "Is Versus for true FF fans?". And after reading your opinion, I'd say you aren't qualified to answer. For you are; a Wannabe Final Fantasy Fan.
I'm a wannabe Final Fantasy fan? No I've been playing FF since FFI on the NES. Yes FF is known for reinventing itself, but what it isn't known for is changing up the whole game to where it's hardly noticeable any more.
FaytSaratome
FaytSaratome
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:02 pm

FaytSaratome wrote:

I'm a wannabe Final Fantasy fan? No I've been playing FF since FFI on the NES. Yes FF is known for reinventing itself, but what it isn't known for is changing up the whole game to where it's hardly noticeable any more.

umm... That's the whole point of reinventing something... If you don't like 3D graphics, i suggest you invent a time machine, go back in time, and become a sprite. That should remove everything you don't like from FF. Regardless of how long you been playing, you are still a ]Wannabe Final Fantasy Fan[/b], and are not qualified to determine whether Versus will be good or not.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by FaytSaratome Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:04 pm

.. when did I ever say that the graphics is what made it suck or not FF or anything? I heard two things about Versus. One that it'll include all the towns, shops and etc. that are normal for FF. Another that it'll be like FFXIII. No towns, linear as hell, etc. If that's the case then no, I think it's not for FF fans.
FaytSaratome
FaytSaratome
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus the Wraith Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:12 pm

FaytSaratome wrote:.. when did I ever say that the graphics is what made it suck or not FF or anything? I heard two things about Versus. One that it'll include all the towns, shops and etc. that are normal for FF. Another that it'll be like FFXIII. No towns, linear as hell, etc. If that's the case then no, I think it's not for FF fans.

XIII wasn't meant to be as linear as it is, Square had to water it down for M$. If Versus is anything that fits in this gen, it won't be for Senior Citizens, or Wannabe Final Fantasy Fans.
Most of the FF fans went PS3, and, in consequence, most of the true FF fans went PS3. Square will not let real fans down.
Angelus the Wraith
Angelus the Wraith
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by AndrejTheReviewer Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:07 pm

FaytSaratome wrote:.. when did I ever say that the graphics is what made it suck or not FF or anything? I heard two things about Versus. One that it'll include all the towns, shops and etc. that are normal for FF. Another that it'll be like FFXIII. No towns, linear as hell, etc. If that's the case then no, I think it's not for FF fans.

XIII wasn't meant to be as linear as it is, Square had to water it down for M$. If Versus is anything that fits in this gen, it won't be for Senior Citizens, or Wannabe Final Fantasy Fans.
Most of the FF fans went PS3, and, in consequence, most of the true FF fans went PS3. Square will not let real fans down.
ok man im tired of people like you saying square watered it down for the 360 people..jesus christ..its not for the 360,its what square enix decided to do,and dont get me wrong,i wont bash you or anything,but what you just said was actually really a false fact,square enix decided to do that and thats the fact.because im tired hearing people saying that bull,also i think the "real" fans as you say had a 360 even before ff13 was announced for the 360 so i dont get your point what are you saying,and who knows ffv13 might come for the 360 too,money talks,eventhough square said milion times before it was announced that ff13 will stay exclusive but it didnt
AndrejTheReviewer
AndrejTheReviewer
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next