Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updated console sales

+8
Gutzahn
Jamin
MEGAlan
TheJubJub5721
Franko
CyberpunkCentral
SlySonji™
gamer22
12 posters

Go down

Updated console sales Empty Updated console sales

Post by gamer22 Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:03 am

WorldWide Sales:
Xbox 360: 44.5 million
Sony PS3: 41.6 million

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/ps3-tops-over-41-5-million-units-trails-xbox-360-by-less-than-3-million

Sony and MS released their figures and this is where they stand at the moment. Normally sales is not a big deal but this is what caught my attention.

While both figures are impressive, Sony has had a stronger 2010 than Microsoft with over 8.1 million PS3s sold compared to Microsoft's 5.8 million Xbox 360s.

So even with the launch of the 360 slim, a clearance sales of all the old models and the launch of Halo Reach, PS3 still outsold 360 8.1 million to 5.8 million. Now I see why Microsoft is riding so much on Kinect. The casuals soccer moms is all they have left.

gamer22
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Updated console sales Empty Re: Updated console sales

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:29 pm

So even with a price cut, the release of the Slim, and Reach, more than 2.3M more PS3s have been sold.

Fuck.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by CyberpunkCentral Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:34 pm

SlySonji™ wrote:So even with a price cut, the release of the Slim, and Reach, more than 2.3M more PS3s have been sold.

Fuck.

This is why Microsoft is going to milk the "Halo" franchise next gen.
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

https://www.youtube.com/user/CyberpunkCentral?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Post by Franko Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:47 pm

CyberpunkCentral wrote:
SlySonji™ wrote:So even with a price cut, the release of the Slim, and Reach, more than 2.3M more PS3s have been sold.

Fuck.

So ODST was a Try. LOL That game or Expansion was Milked. You Play as a ODST in a Small 4 hour campaign with a MP disk with all the Halo 3 maps and game types with one new feature called FireFight. Milked you say
Franko
Franko
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Jack-_-Franko wrote:
CyberpunkCentral wrote:

Fuck.

So ODST was a Try. LOL That game or Expansion was Milked. You Play as a ODST in a Small 4 hour campaign with a MP disk with all the Halo 3 maps and game types with one new feature called FireFight. Milked you say

6 hour campaign actually. And I thought it was a good game! But I also got it for free...so...yeah..
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:41 pm

/MOVED
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:59 pm

The fanbase for Halo can't get any larger. Most people already know about Halo on the Xbox. Did you guys honestly think Reach would have been as big of a push for sales as Halo 3 or any of the other previous Halo games?

And gamer22, don't act like Sony isn't trying to grab some of the casual gamer marketshare. It's ignorant to think otherwise.

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting the PS3 to beat the X360 this year though. Good job.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:16 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Jack-_-Franko wrote:
CyberpunkCentral wrote:

Fuck.

6 hour campaign actually. And I thought it was a good game! But I also got it for free...so...yeah..
I'd rather give myself a RIMJOB than play ODST again.
Jamin
Jamin
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by CyberpunkCentral Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:22 pm

Jamin wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Jack-_-Franko wrote:
CyberpunkCentral wrote:

Fuck.

I'd rather give myself a RIMJOB than play ODST again.

I rather watch "2 Girls 1 Cup" while eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream then play ODST.
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by Gutzahn Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:54 pm

I rather play odst then tetris. Its not bad its ok imo.
Gutzahn
Gutzahn
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gamer22 Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:29 pm

Alan_1994 wrote:The fanbase for Halo can't get any larger. Most people already know about Halo on the Xbox. Did you guys honestly think Reach would have been as big of a push for sales as Halo 3 or any of the other previous Halo games?

And gamer22, don't act like Sony isn't trying to grab some of the casual gamer marketshare. It's ignorant to think otherwise.

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting the PS3 to beat the X360 this year though. Good job.
Not to the extent MS is going. MS spent $500 million on Kinect advertising. That's at least 11 high profile games that could of been developed. That money could at least went into creating more development studios. MS also tasked Rare into creating Kinect games so that right there put games like a Perfect Dark sequel or a new Killer Instinct title on hold.

At the most Sony tasked their developers to add move features but they haven't made a company internally focus on move. They had separate developers do move titles while everyone else continued with what they were doing.

gamer22
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zillah Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Kinect is gonna sell to the soccer moms, which is a + for M$.

But, Sony needs to release a 40-80 GB PS3 for 200$.
Zillah
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:20 am

gamer22 wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:The fanbase for Halo can't get any larger. Most people already know about Halo on the Xbox. Did you guys honestly think Reach would have been as big of a push for sales as Halo 3 or any of the other previous Halo games?

Not to the extent MS is going. MS spent $500 million on Kinect advertising. That's at least 11 high profile games that could of been developed. That money could at least went into creating more development studios. MS also tasked Rare into creating Kinect games so that right there put games like a Perfect Dark sequel or a new Killer Instinct title on hold.

At the most Sony tasked their developers to add move features but they haven't made a company internally focus on move. They had separate developers do move titles while everyone else continued with what they were doing.

The Kinect games from Rare are borderline shovelware. Rare is a big studio, they can be working on multiple projects at once. Many developers do. It's as stupid as argueing that Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 or Dragon Age 2 will drastically delay the planned schedule for Mass Effect 3.

None of MS's studios are making hardcore Kinect titles, except maybe Turn 10 but even the next Forza hasn't been confirmed to be a Kinect-exclusive experience. They got 3rd party developers/publishers to produce Kinect titles for the hardcore market.

Half a million dollars on Kinect advertising just shows Microsoft devotion to the peripheral. They know that in order for this thing to suceede and to get the attention of 3rd party developers, it must have a reasonable user base. So in the long run, Microsoft will greatly benefit from the investment. I mean they already have Capcom, Sega, and many Japanese developers making Kinect projects. EA's Bioware and Ubisoft have also shown interest in it.

I'm also laughing my undead ass off at how you thought the Xbox 360 was doing bad this year. Read carefully. SONY has COMPLETELY DOMINATED the industry the last two generations. Prior to 2006 you'd have been sent to the looney bin for suggesting MS would be ahead of SONY in 2011. No matter what SONY does from here on out they are GUARANTEED to be the only console company to lose marketshare this generation, and we are talking a TON of marketshare. End of discussion. The fact that you guys are high fiving Sony because they are "catching up" to a brand that was/still is way less popular and then MAKING FUN of that brand because 1 high profile game didn't "PUSH" alot more consoles then you expected is BEYOND rediculous.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Padders Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:37 am

Alan_1994 wrote:
The Kinect games from Rare are borderline shovelware. Rare is a big studio, they can be working on multiple projects at once. Many developers do. It's as stupid as argueing that Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 or Dragon Age 2 will drastically delay the planned schedule for Mass Effect 3.

None of MS's studios are making hardcore Kinect titles, except maybe Turn 10 but even the next Forza hasn't been confirmed to be a Kinect-exclusive experience. They got 3rd party developers/publishers to produce Kinect titles for the hardcore market.

Half a million dollars on Kinect advertising just shows Microsoft devotion to the peripheral. They know that in order for this thing to suceede and to get the attention of 3rd party developers, it must have a reasonable user base. So in the long run, Microsoft will greatly benefit from the investment. I mean they already have Capcom, Sega, and many Japanese developers making Kinect projects. EA's Bioware and Ubisoft have also shown interest in it.

I'm also laughing my undead ass off at how you thought the Xbox 360 was doing bad this year. Read carefully. SONY has COMPLETELY DOMINATED the industry the last two generations. Prior to 2006 you'd have been sent to the looney bin for suggesting MS would be ahead of SONY in 2011. No matter what SONY does from here on out they are GUARANTEED to be the only console company to lose marketshare this generation, and we are talking a TON of marketshare. End of discussion. The fact that you guys are high fiving Sony because they are "catching up" to a brand that was/still is way less popular and then MAKING FUN of that brand because 1 high profile game didn't "PUSH" alot more consoles then you expected is BEYOND rediculous.
This is why I like you Alan. You take a shit on top of everything.
Padders
Padders
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by gamer22 Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:37 am

Alan_1994 wrote:
gamer22 wrote:

Look at how they designed their web page.

http://www.rareware.com/

Does that even look like a company that plans to make a rebirth of Killer Instinct? You're right they could be working on multiple projects. Who's to say they're not all Kinect based? And this thread isn't making fun of anything and if you personally feel that way than you need to check you're own personal fortitude or at the very least check your feelings at the door prior to clicking on this thread.

This is simply just observations based on data and a discussion of it. Did you see me say "HA HA HA XFLOP GOT PWN, PS3 IS GOD'S GIFT AMONG GAMERS BURN MS BURN" or anything like that? No you didn't so again check your feelings.

Hell my only criticism in this thread was why MS is focusing so much on Kinect and never bothered to beef up their 1st party. They obviously have the funds to do so. That's a very well founded critique simply being a gamer.

gamer22
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by CyberpunkCentral Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:57 am

Padders wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:

This is why I like you Alan. You take a shit on top of everything.

That's our Alan Very Happy
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:08 pm

gamer22 wrote:Look at how they designed their web page.

LOL @ them not having info on Perfect Dark, Kameo, Viva Piñata, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker: Live and Reloaded, and Jetpac, but having info on their Kinect titles (not to mention they didn't even list PDZ, Viva Piñata: TIP, or Banjo-Kazooie N&B).
TRF
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:22 pm

gamer22 wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
gamer22 wrote:

Look at how they designed their web page.

Does that even look like a company that plans to make a rebirth of Killer Instinct? You're right they could be working on multiple projects. Who's to say they're not all Kinect based? And this thread isn't making fun of anything and if you personally feel that way than you need to check you're own personal fortitude or at the very least check your feelings at the door prior to clicking on this thread.

This is simply just observations based on data and a discussion of it. Did you see me say "HA HA HA XFLOP GOT PWN, PS3 IS GOD'S GIFT AMONG GAMERS BURN MS BURN" or anything like that? No you didn't so again check your feelings.

Hell my only criticism in this thread was why MS is focusing so much on Kinect and never bothered to beef up their 1st party. They obviously have the funds to do so. That's a very well founded critique simply being a gamer.

OH NO, they are advertising their newest lineup of games. That's unheard of! Lol. Go to the Bioware site and you will see advertising of Dragon Age 2. That doesn't mean Bioware has forgotten about the Mass Effect. Likewise, Rare hasn't forgotten about Banjo or Perfect Dark. Go to the game section and you can see for yourself. Zillah In Banana For

In the OP, you practicially said "Despite bla bla bla, Xbox 360 couldn't outsell the PS3 this year." I'm just putting everything into perspective for you. Even if the X360 went into a decline the next couple of years, it still would have been a HUGE success for MS. They doubled the Xbox userbase in the same time period.

Is this sales crap directly related to the quality of the PS3/Xbox 360? No. I think it's the LEAST relevant point when argueing which console is better. I thought it was relevant to bring up an observation of the lifetime sales seeing as this is a thread about *gasp* lifetime sales.

Microsoft, even before Kinect, has largely depended on 3rd party developers to deliver exclusives/console exclusives. Some of their top exclusives aren't even owned by them. To them 3rd party support and 1st party support are almost interchangeable. So I doubt the existance of Kinect caused delays to any future 1st party production.

BTW I don't get personal with this stuff. When I said I was laughing my ass off, I actually meant it. Laughing
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gamer22 Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:49 am

I did go to the game section for Rare and tried to check on Perfect Dark 0. It says full game details coming soon. Details on a game that was released 5 years ago is coming soon? Scratching Head

Yes in the OP I said all that cause that is what everyone was expecting. Even you said you weren't expecting that. The conversation could of easily went on thoughts, ideas or guess on why they think this ended up being the outcome and possible reactions by MS. I chimed in with an opinion on this is why MS is riding Kinect so hard. You made it end up being "let me protect MS" scenario for no reason.

I don't need you to put things in perspective for me cause I can clearly see how MS went from selling 23 million xbox's to 44 million 360 as a huge success along with going form 3 million XBL subscribers to 25 million. At no point did I say MS failed this gen nor did I relate sales to quality but if I did please by all mean point it out and I will gladly edit/delete said post.

In the beginning they had Bizzare making PGR which was big for them. Rare pumped out Banjo, PD0, Viva Pinata, Kameo in span of 3 years. Ensemble created Halo Wars. Not all titles have to be huge Halo titles but good titles only available on that specific platform broadens the portfolio for gamers.

And you say you doubt Kinect delayed any future 1st party production? I'm glad you said you doubt cause look at this pic...

Updated console sales Killer-instinct-3-christmas-card-big

That pic was released Dec 2007 as a teaser to what is coming for 360. It's December 2010. Are you playing Killer Instinct 3?

gamer22
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoney Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:22 am

Killer Instinct..... Drooling

Hopefully Rare get to chance to develop it, although I'm not holding my breath..... Dead;Fried
Stoney
Stoney
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by CyberpunkCentral Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:34 am

Rareware R.I.P.
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:23 pm

gamer22 wrote:I did go to the game section for Rare and tried to check on Perfect Dark 0. It says full game details coming soon. Details on a game that was released 5 years ago is coming soon? Scratching Head

Yes in the OP I said all that cause that is what everyone was expecting. Even you said you weren't expecting that. The conversation could of easily went on thoughts, ideas or guess on why they think this ended up being the outcome and possible reactions by MS. I chimed in with an opinion on this is why MS is riding Kinect so hard. You made it end up being "let me protect MS" scenario for no reason.

I don't need you to put things in perspective for me cause I can clearly see how MS went from selling 23 million xbox's to 44 million 360 as a huge success along with going form 3 million XBL subscribers to 25 million. At no point did I say MS failed this gen nor did I relate sales to quality but if I did please by all mean point it out and I will gladly edit/delete said post.

In the beginning they had Bizzare making PGR which was big for them. Rare pumped out Banjo, PD0, Viva Pinata, Kameo in span of 3 years. Ensemble created Halo Wars. Not all titles have to be huge Halo titles but good titles only available on that specific platform broadens the portfolio for gamers.

And you say you doubt Kinect delayed any future 1st party production? I'm glad you said you doubt cause look at this pic...

Updated console sales Killer-instinct-3-christmas-card-big

That pic was released Dec 2007 as a teaser to what is coming for 360. It's December 2010. Are you playing Killer Instinct 3?

I am protecting MS. That's the point. Who else but me on this forum would look at the OP and NOT make a thoughtless comment bashing MS. Most people on here are pretty Playstation-centric. I mean this doesn't mean that they particularly hate Xbox, but it does kinda make them cheer on Sony. Which again, isn't a bad thing. I'm just presenting the other side of the arguement. The Xbox side is always harder to argue for on here because there is a "million vs 1" type thing going on. If you go to the Xbox Republic, you can see me argueing on the PS3 side. Yes, I'm that fucked up.

Before Kinect, Rare had a different layout for their webpage. Perhaps they are reconstructing the old pages so that way it flows with the rest of the style of Kinect games (Vibrant colors and all that jazz) ?

That teaser was released in 2007? They did release a non-Kinect game in 2008. Again, Rare is a big studio, if you honestly think a bunch of Kinect titles are drastically delaying their potential sequels of their established IPs, then you haven't seen the amount of projects other developers work on. Epic Games has developed/is developing Shadow Complex, Gears of War 3, and Bulletstorm in the same time period. Bungie split their studio in half to develop Halo ODST and Halo Reach, with one of those titles obviously being a big budget production.

Microsoft DOES have a 1st party lineup. I'm just saying compared to Sony or Nintendo, Microsoft's exclusives are largely 3rd party. To them 3rd party support is as good as 1st party support. Even Remedy Games thinks that Alan Wake (the IP that they COMPLETELY own) fits in the portfolio of 1st party Microsoft exclusives (Fable, Halo, Forza). I think more than anything Microsoft Game Studios focuses more time acquiring publishing rights rather than IPs or 1st party studios. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If they really needed more 1st party studios, I don't see why they couldn't buy some.
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 pm

I still find it quite surprising that Sony was able to whoop so much ass this year.

Sony didn't even have anything to push the PS3 that far. Wait, I know what pushed it that far.

NO GAEMZ.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down