Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Mass Effect 2 on PS3 need Mass Effect 1 to be a success

+16
gow
Pizzy3C
Teckno
CyberpunkCentral
Epzaos
TheJubJub5721
nextgen4life
xxDEATH METALxx
Angelus the Wraith
SlySonji™
gamer22
TRF
Stoney
Zillah
solidstudios
yonny616
20 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Does Mass Effect 2 on PS3 need Mass Effect 1 to be a success - Page 4 Empty Re: Does Mass Effect 2 on PS3 need Mass Effect 1 to be a success

Post by TheJubJub5721 Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:09 am

SlySonji™️ wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:But I don't need to play it to know it.

If you didnt look up the story or hear about it any where, yes you would have to play the first to completely understand the second.

That's what BioWare said Laughing

For the PS3 version? Yeah they will probably have a cutscene explaining it... Playing the game > cutscene

That isn't what you said though.

I said if you just play the normal second one (not the PS3 late port) you wouldn't know the story.
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Does Mass Effect 2 on PS3 need Mass Effect 1 to be a success - Page 4 Empty Re: Does Mass Effect 2 on PS3 need Mass Effect 1 to be a success

Post by SlySonji™ Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:10 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:

If you didnt look up the story or hear about it any where, yes you would have to play the first to completely understand the second.

For the PS3 version? Yeah they will probably have a cutscene explaining it... Playing the game > cutscene

I said if you just play the normal second one (not the PS3 late port) you wouldn't know the story.

The internet?
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 am

SlySonji™️ wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:

The internet?

Read...my....previous....posts.... 3 posts ago if you need that much help...
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:14 am

Two posts ago you just said that if I played the second without the first I wouldn't know the story..

If you said anything different, you contradicted yourself.
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 am

SlySonji™ wrote:Two posts ago you just said that if I played the second without the first I wouldn't know the story..

If you said anything different, you contradicted yourself.

Ok, let me know when you go back and read that post.
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:22 am

Let me point you out on something okay?

First you said this:

You don't need to play TES3 to know TESIV's story

Then gamer22 pointed you out by saying this:

Same with ME2

And then you said this:

*sigh* You will never get it.... ME is a story driven series. ME2 is a direct story sequal. TES3's story does not continue into TESIV

Since you are trying to prove his point wrong the above quote could only mean that you meant to say ''you need to play ME1 to understand the story. You realized that you were wrong so you cleaned up your act.''

It's no biggie Wink
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:30 am

SlySonji™️ wrote:Let me point you out on something okay?

First you said this:

You don't need to play TES3 to know TESIV's story

Then gamer22 pointed you out by saying this:

Same with ME2

And then you said this:

*sigh* You will never get it.... ME is a story driven series. ME2 is a direct story sequal. TES3's story does not continue into TESIV

Since you are trying to prove his point wrong the above quote could only mean that you meant to say ''you need to play ME1 to understand the story. You realized that you were wrong so you cleaned up your act.''

It's no biggie Wink

Well ofcourse you can look up the story on the internet. But what I was trying to say was that the story carries on into ME2 directly from the first, unlike TES3 to TESIV or Fallout. Maybe I should have worded it better.
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:31 am

Maybe you should have Wink
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:31 am

SlySonji™️ wrote:Maybe you should have Wink

Yes, that was my bad.
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by gamer22 Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:17 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:*sigh* You will never get it.... ME is a story driven series. ME2 is a direct story sequal. TES3's story does not continue into TESIV

oh I get. The question is "Do I need ME1 to understand the story of ME2"? And the answer is no you don't. When you brining up ME1, you're brining up back story to the Universe. That back story is not necessary to play and understand ME2. Not at all. You can bring up the whole game save file all you want and if anything that just reinforces my point cause I guarantee your save file is different from my save which is different from other members save file. So if everyone is experience a different aspect of the story, that can only mean the story is very open which means a player can directly jump into ME2 and play the game via default story line.

TRF wrote:There's a difference. TES and Fallout both involve new characters in every game, with nothing more than a few references to past titles. Mass Effect 2 carries over characters, relationships, etc. into the second game. No, it isn't absolutely necessary to play the first game, but it helps immensely.

First off I'm glad you said it isn't necessary, that pretty much kills your argument. But to caveat on that, no it doesn't help immensely. What it does is it give you an appreciation for playing ME1. It gives you the satisfaction that all the hours you played and choices you made in ME1 gets carried over to ME2.

But that is irrelevant to the anyone who has not played ME1. You guys are trying to convince yourselves of how a gamer will react towards ME2. The key phrase here is out of sight out of mind. Just like a person watching The Dark Knight without watching Batman Begins

They don't know Ra's Algul trained Bruce Wayne to fight.
They don't know Carmine Falconi got poisoned and is no longer the mob boss. Hell they may not even know who he was period.
They don't know why Bruce Wayne is so in love with Rachael Dawes.
They don't know how Bruce Wayne established a relationship with Lucious Fox.
They don't know why Bruce Wayne is not living in the Mansion using a Batcave and instead living in a penthouse and underground room in a junkyard.

And yet not a single one of those points matter cause TDK was an amazing movie in it's own right where one could say who gives a crap about those details. ME2 is an amazing game. Yes should people play ME1. ofcourse cause the game in it's own right is good. It's simply another game to play. But regardless if you do or not, ME2 is still amazing and people will enjoy it. Are they going to enjoy it as much as you or me? Well I say who gives a crap? We don't set the bar on how people should enjoy games.

gamer22
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:30 am

and the arguement rages on!

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:30 pm

gamer22 wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:*sigh* You will never get it.... ME is a story driven series. ME2 is a direct story sequal. TES3's story does not continue into TESIV

oh I get. The question is "Do I need ME1 to understand the story of ME2"? And the answer is no you don't. When you brining up ME1, you're brining up back story to the Universe. That back story is not necessary to play and understand ME2. Not at all. You can bring up the whole game save file all you want and if anything that just reinforces my point cause I guarantee your save file is different from my save which is different from other members save file. So if everyone is experience a different aspect of the story, that can only mean the story is very open which means a player can directly jump into ME2 and play the game via default story line.

If you don't play the first ME or have someone tell you what happens you will not fully understand the game. Just like you can watch Star Wars Return of the Jedi without watching Empire Strikes Back and still understand some stuff, but you wont understand it all.
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by igame Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:25 pm

Problem solved
igame
igame
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:31 pm

igame wrote:

Problem solved

Playing the game > Cutscene
TheJubJub5721
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by igame Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 am

Playing the game > Cutscene

My point is that im not gonna be totally lost in the story

igame
igame
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gamer22 Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:29 am

igame wrote:

Problem solved
Laughing

gamer22
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by CyberpunkCentral Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:51 pm

The official "Mass Effect 2" PS3 NA/EU box-art.

Does Mass Effect 2 on PS3 need Mass Effect 1 to be a success - Page 4 Me2-ps10
CyberpunkCentral
CyberpunkCentral
PS3 Nation Greats

https://www.youtube.com/user/CyberpunkCentral?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Post by Epzaos Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 pm

I can easily beat all of those 3 DLCs in 3 hours.
Epzaos
Epzaos
Forum Great

https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:35 am

Zillah wrote:
xSTONEYx187x wrote:
Zillah wrote:I played ME1 and I can say, ME2 is 90000000000000000x better.

I know you can improve on sequels but the improvements on this game were evident.

Its not that ME 2 is better. Its just when you play ME 1 you can import all of your decisions and choices into ME 2. It makes it kinda unique. Did you kill or save that person in ME1? If you saved him then he will make an apperence in ME 2. Thats why the Mass Effect series is so unique. Whatever decisions you make in the first carry over to the second.

Me, personally, I could give two fucks about story. That does make it a great, one big game.
However, the fun factor, ME2 shits all over it.

LOL Zillah. ROFL

You like ME2 because it's an action adventure game built for people who are use to cinematic games like the Call of Duty games .

It's hardly an RPG. It's very streamlined. The Citadel in ME1 is 30 times the size of ME2. The places you get to explore in ME1 were much better than the ones in ME2.

The BEST part of ME2 was seeing some of my favorite characters from ME1, one of which I saw in ME2 only because I let him live in ME1.

I mean come on...In ME2 you hardly learn anything more about the Reapers than you did in ME1.

I have completed 10 playthroughs of ME1, ALL of them were just as fun as the last. ME2 on the other hand? After the 2nd playthrough it just wasn't as fun. Bioware seems to have built ME2 around the idea of DLC expansions. The story's universe in ME2 seems to be much more expanded, allowing for interesting side quests.

To say that ME2 shits all over ME1 was kind of ignorant. Many ME fans would have disagreed with you. Both games are great, but ME1 was definantely the better RPG. I give credit to Bioware's work for giving ME2 the best storyline's side characters in a videogame
MEGAlan
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:49 am

MEGAlan wrote:
Zillah wrote:
xSTONEYx187x wrote:
Zillah wrote:I played ME1 and I can say, ME2 is 90000000000000000x better.

I know you can improve on sequels but the improvements on this game were evident.

Its not that ME 2 is better. Its just when you play ME 1 you can import all of your decisions and choices into ME 2. It makes it kinda unique. Did you kill or save that person in ME1? If you saved him then he will make an apperence in ME 2. Thats why the Mass Effect series is so unique. Whatever decisions you make in the first carry over to the second.

Me, personally, I could give two fucks about story. That does make it a great, one big game.
However, the fun factor, ME2 shits all over it.

LOL Zillah. ROFL

You like ME2 because it's an action adventure game built for people who are use to cinematic games like the Call of Duty games .

It's hardly an RPG. It's very streamlined. The Citadel in ME1 is 30 times the size of ME2. The places you get to explore in ME1 were much better than the ones in ME2.

The BEST part of ME2 was seeing some of my favorite characters from ME1, one of which I saw in ME2 only because I let him live in ME1.

I mean come on...In ME2 you hardly learn anything more about the Reapers than you did in ME1.

I have completed 10 playthroughs of ME1, ALL of them were just as fun as the last. ME2 on the other hand? After the 2nd playthrough it just wasn't as fun. Bioware seems to have built ME2 around the idea of DLC expansions. The story's universe in ME2 seems to be much more expanded, allowing for interesting side quests.

To say that ME2 shits all over ME1 was kind of ignorant. Many ME fans would have disagreed with you. Both games are great, but ME1 was definantely the better RPG. I give credit to Bioware's work for giving ME2 the best storyline's side characters in a videogame

BRAH, STORY SUCKK BRAH!
SlySonji™
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4